See below for News or visit our Facebook Page
SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING
Held on Thursday 24th November 2022 commencing
5.00pm QLD; 6.00pm SYD/VIC; Location: Via Zoom Meeting
1. Welcome Attendees Andrew Clauson, Sandor Tornai, Andrew York, Luke Ratcliff, Bill Young, Scott Wallace, Gavin Arnold, Jamie Berndt, Samuel Fetherston, Julian Bethwaite, Michael Brierley
2. Apologies Anthony Irwin, William Michie, Stuart Innes, Tim Peachey, Tim Vercoe
3. Record of Proxies Bill Young provided proxy to Andrew York (void as Bill in attendance) Shane Triggell, Graeme Sheering and Brett Bush provided proxy to Jamie Berndt
4. Motion 1 Explanation: In order to provide all ASBA Members with access to attend the Annual General Meeting of the Association the following change is recommended that ensure attendance is offer remotely. Motion: Clause 7.1 of the ASBA Constitution be changed from: The Annual General Meeting of the members shall be held at the National Titles of the Association in each calendar year. In the event of there being no National Title in a particular calendar year, then no later than the month of April in that year. Members shall be given at least 28 days notice in writing before such
meeting. To: The Annual General Meeting of the members shall be held in each calendar year, no later than the month of April in that year. Members shall be given at least 28 days notice in writing before such meeting. Members must be afforded the opportunity to attend the meeting remotely.
- CARRIED: The motion was carried with 100% for and nil against. 5.
- Motion 2 Explanation: To make a change in the primary handicapping system for the Association. Motion: Clause 15.1 and 15.2 of the ASBA Constitution be changed from:
15.1. Association sanctioned events shall be raced under an externally administered (i.e. by an independent body to the Association) measurement based rating system (SMS) agreed upon by the first Committee of the Association (hereinafter referred to as the primary handicap system) and a secondary handicap system (ASBA LTP Handicap) agreed upon by the members at the 2020 AGM.
15.2. The primary handicap system (SMS) shall not be replaced with an alternative handicapping system except by a majority vote of the full members present at an Annual or Special General Meeting.
15.1. Association sanctioned events shall be raced under an externally administered (i.e. by an independent body to the Association) measurement based rating system, being CBH (administered by Australian Sailing and hereinafter referred to as the primary handicap system) and a secondary handicap system, being ASBA LTP Handicap.
15.2. The primary handicap system shall not be replaced with an alternative handicapping system except by a majority vote of the full members present at an Annual or Special General Meeting.
- CARRIED: The motion was carried with 89% for and 11% against.
- 6. General Business The President indicated that the ASBA Committee would be seeking interest
from members to form a Technical Advisory Group to assist the Committee with handicapping management – liaison with Sailing Australia, handicap cut off for fleets and divisions within regattas. 7. Close (5.20pm)
- Check this out thanks to Jamie and the QLDers. Get ready for the 2023 Nationals.
- 2023 Sports Boat National Titles are coming to Brisbane. Save the date. NOR released soon. 24th to 25th February 2023.
FOR SALETime for a change. Australia's most successful sports boat is on the market. Fast, Fun and competitive. Tow it up to do Airlie Race Week, Port Stephens Race Week, Lake Keepit, Lincoln, ASBA State and Nationals, Sydney Harbour Regattas, Geelong Race week and on it goes. 3-time national champion boat. Get 3 or 4 mates together. $24,990.00 plenty of quality sailing to be had
The ASBA would like to thank the sportsboat community for participating in our recent survey. We were delighted with the number of responses received which demonstrates our members and sailors are passionate and want to be involved. Please click here to see the survey results and our pathway forward. Remember to have your say in the proposed changes you have requested, you need to be a financial member of the Association. https://asba.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/2022-ASBA-Survey-Summary-and-Members-Communication.pdf
The ASBA is conducting a survey of sportsboat sailors and members to help guide some key decisions moving forward including what handicapping system you want to sail under. All members and interested sportsboat sailors are encouraged to complete this short survey. Click here - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ASBA2022
Here is a list of summer events. Could you give me a yes, no , maybe to the following on 0413 043 810. Cheers luke
No 1 9 th of October St Helena Cup.
No 2 Queensland State Titles 5th and 6th of November.
No. 3 The New South Wales Police Service Regatta Toronto Lake Macquarie Saturday, 12th November to Tuesday, 15th November.
No 4 Sail Paradise 2nd to 6th January.
No. 5 New South Wales State Titles at the brand new Shell Harbour Marina. This will be the base for our Sports boat & Trailerable Extravaganza on the 3rd to 5th February.
This is a glamour new venue with great access to berths and hardstand!
No 6 National titles in south-east Queensland 24th to the 26th February.
No. 7 Teakle Classic 20th to 23rd of February South Australia.
No 8 Sydney Harbour Regatta 4th to 5th March.
No 9 Marley Point Victoria 11th to 12th March.
No 10 Sail Port Stephens 19, 20 and 21st May. Paul O’Rourke is planning to make this a massive event with great prizes. ￼
No 11 Keep it Cool 10th to 12th of June, Lake Keepit.
No 12 Airlie Race Week 10th to the 17th August.
The NSW Police & Emergency Services Sailing Club has teamed up with the Australian Sports Boat Association at this year’s regatta. See attached
NOTICE OF RACE
EMERGENCY SERVICES REGATTA
LAKE MACQUARIE 12TH TO 15TH NOVEMBER 2022
1) Facebook page link for the NSW Police sports club https://www.facebook.com/NSWPESSC/
2) 1 ORGANISING AUTHORITY
3) 1.1 The organising authority for the event is the Royal Motor Yacht Club, Toronto, on behalf of the NSW Police & Emergency Services Sailing Club and Australian Sports Boat Association.
4) 2 VENUE
5) 2.1 The event will be conducted from the Royal Motor Yacht Club, Toronto. - 6 Arnott Avenue, Toronto, NSW.
6) Notice of Race https://asba.org.au/2022-nor-police-services/
7) You will be able to enter in early October on the RMYC web site https://www.rmyctoronto.com.au/racing
The event shall be made up of potentially 12 races. These will be a mixture of navigation/course racing and windward/leeward racing.
9) Entries close on Monday 7 November, 2022 at 5pm. By this time all forms and payments must have been received. Any entry received after 5pm on Monday 07 November, 2022, will incur a late fee of $20.
10) Sailing Instructions will be posted on the RMYC Toronto event web page by 1200 hours on Monday 7 November, 2022. Scoring will be CBH and SMS.
Quick video of Skeeter at Airlie 2022. Currently listed for sale.
NEW LISTING Skeeter (check boats for sale)
Bethwaite 79er full carbon
New CST High modulus rig 2020
New CST Boom 2020
1 x padded boob bag
Full new rig and sail package designed by Michael Carter (flipper)
New 2020 sails include mainsail and three jibs
One new 2020 spinnaker (blue)A2
The above sails have done three heats at nationals 5 club races and Airlie beach 2022.
Two spare A2 spinnakers
1 x A3 spinnaker
1 x Chicken shute
2 x long sail/boom transportation bag
Mercury 3.3 hp 2 stroke motor
1 x complete rudder and casset assemblies.
1 x heavy duty acrylic boat cover(grey) (mast in)
1 x two piece boat and mast cover assembly (including ridge poles)
Spare halyards, spin sheets ect
NSW registered trailer
Boat has current SMS,CBH and Cat 5 stability declaration.
The next regatta after Airlie is the St Helena Cup. See attached racing schedule for dates.
Airlie 2022 final day.Todays race on CBH https://app.sailsys.com.au/.../series/1681/races/14106... Overall results https://app.sailsys.com.au/.../series/1681/pointscore...
- Airlie Race Week -big days out sailing. 5/1/2 hrs on the water with long courses. Everyone is totally exhausted. 5 -8knots today over 150 odd boats to dodge. Results to follow. Two more days of racing if we can all make it.
Day 1 Airlie Race Week -15 to 20 out to the islands and eased in the afternoon.
See results belowDay two is postponed due to lack of wind. Currently 1030am and there’s nothing on the water.
- Good luck to Sporties heading North. 1.5 hrs to get out the heads is painful hope their trip improves from here.
July 2022- Hi All- NEWS RELEASE We have extended the Emergency Services Regatta in November from a 2-day event to a 4-day event. That means you get more racing. Saturday 12th November will be a 30-mile race to Pulbah Island and Sunday, Monday and Tuesday 15th November will be made up of windward/leewards. See attached flyer- ASBA Police Services Regatta flyer
July 2022- Do you want a Sportsboat that is designed and built to be a place winner? Check this out- REO Speedwagon for Sale
July 2022 -Here is the 2022-2023 racing schedule https://asba.org.au/2022-2023-asba-sailing-calendar/Thank you to TED TEC and BAR Karate for the sponsorship. ASBA is accepting sponsorship of events. Please contact the committee for our prospectus.
July 2022-Final day Mick Hole Regatta at the RPAYCNext Regatta isAirlie in August as part of the ASBA 2022-2023 CalendarJoin us by crewing or just buying a boat with your mates- https://asba.org.au/for-sale/
June 2022- Welcome another sports boat owner to ASBA John Whitfield with “Just a Toy”. Check out the link to the boat profile https://asba.org.au/boat-profile-just-a-toy/ and boats for sale- https://asba.org.au/for-sale/
June 2022- How good is Sam Fetherston! Buys Monkey Business completely rebuilds her and smashes out a third at the 2022 ASBA Nationals. Check out the boats profile- https://asba.org.au/boat-profile-monkey-business/
June 2022- ASBA would like to welcome Clive Jones on Crazy Little Thing a Viper 640 sailing out of PSYC (Port Stephens Yacht Club). Clive and crew have just completed their first Nationals after recently purchasing the boat and they look forward to more sports boat racing. That makes two new sports boat owners hitting the water at PSYC in that last few months. Stay tuned for a traveller series release for 2022-2023.
See attached boat profile link- https://asba.org.au/boat-profile-the-crazy-little-thing-2/
June 2022- Get you entries in for Airlie Race Week 2022 11th to 18th August. This will be the first SMS hit out since 2019 due to covid and border closures. See 2019 results. Also link for entry is https://app.sailsys.com.au/club/104/profile?tab=entry
Now that Malcom is back with Black Betty he will be looking for redemption from Re heat at this 2022 regatta followed closely by Vivace, Reo Speedwagon, Crank, Skeeter and Tickety Boo.
June 2022- ASBA would like to welcome and congratulate Tim Peachey for purchasing Guilty Pleasures 8. See link for further details-https://asba.org.au/boat-profile-guilty-pleasures-8/
June 2022- The Australian Sports Boat Association Constitution requires owners/skippers racing in an Australian Sports Boat Association sanctioned event to be a member of the Association.
Only owners or part owners will be able to become Full Members and for each sports boat only one full membership is available. Any other person may become a Associate Member to race and support the fleet.
The current Membership Form is available here: https://www.jotform.com/form/202627759048059The submission of the form will automatically email us the details.The Australian Sports Boat Association membership year is the financial year (July 1 to June 30). Also your Cat 5 saftey audits run the financial year calendar as well. Finally pencil in to update your SMS certificates at the end of Septermber.
June 2022- Hi All
There has been a new committee elected to ASBA for the 2022-2023 season. See attached minutes of meeting- https://asba.org.au/.../2022/05/ASBA-2022-AGM-Minutes.pdfWe want to start with producing state calendars. See last year’s schedules for NSW https://asba.org.au/2021-2022-nsw-regatta-schedule/ and QLD https://asba.org.au/2021-2022-qld-regatta-schedule/Please contribute to the 2022-2023 calendar by contacting me Luke Ratcliff directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0413043810 ASBA media. And we can set up a traveller series. We would like other state calendars as well. To post comments about this topic go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/1458480754335748 which is a public page for Sports Boat Sailing in Australia. Thank you and let’s go sailing.